Sunday, November 2, 2008

Chicken Dog

Welcome Halloweener's

I wanted to share with everyone something that I love about Halloween.
It's not just about costumes and candy( I love that combo!).   Years ago in Mexico I learned about The Day of the Dead,  celebrated in Mexico. The Holiday focuses  on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and relatives who have died. The celebration occurs on the 1st and 2nd of November, in connection with the Catholic holy days of All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day which take place on those days. Traditions include building private altars honoring the deceased, using sugar skulls, marigolds, and the favorite foods and beverages of the departed, and visiting graves with these as gifts.
Last year Paul and I were in Cabo San Lucas for this tradition. I was so happy to be there. In our villa I gathered flowers & candles and made an altar with pictures of your family members that have passed on. It was wonderful & made me feel so good to celebrate them.  I know it may sound morbid. But, I think celebrating ones life even after they have passed is a beautiful way to celebrate the time they had with us on earth. I have always felt that I have had these floating angels around me, pushing me along. 

Friday I had testing all day at the hospital. Knowing I had Mri's and other things I couldn't wear a costume...so I wore a headband with glowing  ghosts floating over my head! It made everyone laugh which makes me happy. Then after our 2 hour drive home from the city ( I want a helicopter ,  hint, hint Paul) we went to a fantastic Party near our home. The costumes were great.

On another topic.... ( ugh this again) 

I start my clinical trial on tuesday. I will be in the hospital for hours and I promise to take a ton of pictures to let you follow me down another fun filled journey. 

Today Paul and I took Bandit to the CSH doggie parade. She entered into the best costume contest. She was a fluffy feathered Chicken!! I am a very proud parent to a pooch that loves being paraded about in a chicken costume. 


Chicken Dog

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I have a photo of Paul as a fluffy feathered chicken from the late 80's. Thank you for the blog and for helping us money grubbers to keep it in perspective. Love, Eric