Friday, July 10, 2009

Diane's Birthday

Today is my Aunt Diane's 5oth Birthday! Diane has down syndrome. She has been talking about her birthday for months. Every time I see her it's the topic of conversation. I have heard over & over that her birthday was coming.

Her gifts are simple & her life is simple. The smallest things make her happy. She doesn't worry about the struggles of life. All she cares about is her blueberry muffins, hot fudge sundaes, scratch off lotto tickets, paper, the Mets & knowing what time it is. I am not kidding that this is all she wants in life. She lights up when you give her anyone of these gifts. Then 5 minutes go by and she is asking again! It's very funny.

I called Paul today when I was with her. He said that he noticed that being with Diane always makes me happy. Diane is the balance that keeps me sane. Spending a day with her shows me that life is just too crazy & laughter is the best medicine. I truly believe that she is my Aunt for a reason. She is my escape from it all. She speaks italian! She points the moon out to me everytime I am over. She talks about her parents ( my grandparents) like they are still alive. She is the most beautiful person that I know. She always makes me smile.

Cheers to Aunt Diane! She has brought my family love, patience & laughter. We love you!


1 comment:

Grace said...

What a great distraction she is for you! Just started reading your blog. I saw you were following Maura's blog and decided to see yours! I am praying for you ardently and hope you have a great rest of the weekend!